This page (together with our terms of website use) tells you information about us and the legal terms and conditions (Terms) on which we sell any of the tickets (Tickets) listed on the Stagecoach UK Bus website (our website) to you.
These Terms will apply to any contract between us for the sale of Tickets to you (Contract). Please read these Terms carefully and make sure that you understand them, before ordering any Tickets from our website.
Please note that before placing an order you will be asked to agree to these Terms. If you refuse to accept these Terms, you will not be able to order any Tickets from our website.
Please note that certain tickets have local restrictions to their use. Where applicable these restrictions are clearly stated within the website when you click on “Full terms & conditions for this ticket”. It is your responsibility to check this along with the other validity details before completing your online purchase.
We amend these Terms from time to time as set out in section 9. Every time you wish to order Tickets, please check these Terms to ensure you understand the terms which will apply at that time. These Terms, and any Contract between us, are only in the English language.
There are some words which are set out in these Terms which have specific meanings, as follows:
megarider tickets are time-based tickets and are purchased for a predefined area and start and end date (except Xtra - see below). megarider tickets are transferrable, i.e.can be used by another person. However, only one person can use a megarider at anyone time.
SmartZone® tickets are multi-journey and time-based tickets which can be used on Stagecoach and other participating buses within the defined SmartZone®. Outside the zone they will only be valid on Stagecoach buses. For more details about SmartZone® please refer to section 5.
unirider, collegerider and termrider are young person or student only tickets for a predefined area. They have start and end dates and some tickets are only available to students at a particular educational establishment.
These tickets are NOT transferable and may only be used with the valid photo ID. A valid student photo ID would include NUS Card, University ID Card and must include a recent photograph of yourself. ID must be produced at any time when requested by a company official. For paper tickets, the name on the ticket must match the name on the photo ID.
Please refer to the specific terms and conditions of your ticket. You can also refer to the Guide to tickets for your area.
Some unirider tickets are only available to students at a particular educational establishment – where applicable these will be listed in the “Full terms and conditions for this ticket” page.
We, us or our
means Stagecoach Group plc.
Through our website we sell longer term tickets e.g. 13 week, 52 week, etc. as paper tickets delivered to your requested address. The tickets will have the appropriate start and end date printed on them as defined in your online order.
Tickets purchased for StagecoachSmart card are purchased through the website and ‘collected’ when the physical card is presented to a bus card reader. The start date for the card will be as defined in your online order.
This is a method of purchasing megarider tickets and is only available for StagecoachSmart cards. Customers who sign up for Xtra are agreeing to a recurring payment being made with the card provided at the time, or by a direct debit facility. megarider Xtra tickets are valid during the period that your recurring payment remains in force with us.
Due to the differences in the ticket types detailed above, certain features relating to the sales and support service we offer may differ.Where applicable we have outlined them in these Terms.
2. Information about us
We operate the website www.stagecoachbus.com. We are Stagecoach Group Plc(Stagecoach), a company registered in Scotland (Registered No. SC 100764, VAT No.435757819), whose registered office is at 10 Dunkeld Road, Perth, PH1 5TW Scotland.
3. Use of our website
Your use of our website is governed by our terms of website use. Please take the time to read these, as they include important terms which apply to you.
4. How we use your personal information
5. Ticket validity and usage
- All tickets are valid as advertised within this website under the “Full terms and conditions for this ticket” page.
- Most tickets have a set start and end date and are valid for the geographical area as described in the “Full terms and conditions for this ticket” page. However,SmartZone and megarider with SmartZone passes will start from first use.
- The purchasing of a ticket does not guarantee a seat on any route. Seats are allocated on a first come first served basis.
- Tickets remain the property of Stagecoach Bus and must be produced at any time when requested by a company official. Where photo ID is required, tickets presented without a photo ID or with an incorrect photo ID will be confiscated. Passengers failing to produce a current valid ticket (with ID where applicable) will be liable to pay a fare (which may be a standard fare set by the operating company). Confiscated tickets will not be returned.
- If your paper ticket is damaged, illegible or defective, it will be replaced and a £5 administration fee may be charged. Defective paper tickets will need to be returned to the appropriate address detailed in the Contact us section.
- If you do not have your ticket with you when you travel you must buy a ticket for your journey. Any such tickets bought are non-refundable.
- All travel using tickets purchased through this website is subject to the conditions of travel of the relevant service operator. Copies may be obtained directly from those operators.
SmartZone® multi-trip products
SmartZone® multi-trip products such as ‘12 journey’ are valid for 6 months from the date they are first used. However, if you add further trips to your card, the life of all trips remaining on the card will be extended by a further 6 months. Unused trips will expire after these further 6 months and no refunds will be given for trips which remain unused after this time.
SmartZone® time-based products
SmartZone® time-based products are valid for the period purchased, starting from the date they are first used on a bus in the SmartZone® scheme. Note that the ticket will become invalid if unused for 6 months.
Young persons Oxford SmartZone®
- Young persons 18-and-under SmartZone® tickets can be used by anyone aged 18 or under. Please note that you may be required to show identification to prove that you are entitled to use this pass.
- All SmartZone® passes are transferable ie can be used by another person. However only one person can use a SmartZone® pass at any one time, and they must meet the age criteria if using a young persons 18-and-under ticket.
megarider with Smart Zone®
- These products are valid for the period purchased, starting from the date they are first used on a bus (the ticket will become invalid if unused for 6 months).
- Oxford Tube multi journey tickets and passes can be used on Oxford Tube coaches between Oxford and London. For more details about the Oxford Tube see www.oxfordtube.com.
- Anyone travelling on a Child, Young person/Student or Senior ticket on the Oxford Tube may be asked to provide appropriate identification.
6. Price of tickets
- The prices of the Tickets will be as quoted on our website at the time you submit your order, and do not include VAT. We take all reasonable care to ensure that the prices of Tickets are correct at the time when the relevant information was entered onto the system. However please see below for what happens if we discover an error in the price of Ticket(s) you ordered.
- Prices for our Tickets may change from time to time, but changes will not affect any order you have already placed.
- The products and prices detailed within this website are for a selected ticket range only. Full details for each product are included in the terms and conditions of sale on our website and are also available on request from your local operating company. An online enquiry provides us with only limited information and therefore no guarantee can be given that the ticket sold by this website is the most suitable for your purposes. Please note that alternative ticket types and fares to those sold via this website will be available through our normal sales outlets and on vehicle as appropriate. For further information please contact your local operating company.
- Our website contains a large number of Tickets. It is always possible that, despite our reasonable efforts, some of the Tickets on our website may be incorrectly priced. If we discover an error in the price of the Tickets you have ordered we will contact you to inform you of this error and we will give you the option of continuing to purchase the Ticket at the correct price or cancelling your order. We will not process your order until we have your instructions. If we are unable to contact you using the contact details you provided during the order process, we will treat the order as cancelled and notify you in writing. Please note that if the pricing error is obvious and unmistakable and could have reasonably been recognised by you, we do not have to provide the Tickets to you at the incorrect (lower) price.
Standard payments - all except megarider Xtra
We have taken many steps to ensure the security of your payment transaction,including adopting appropriate industry standards.
All payment transactions are handled by our partner Worldpay, a secure payment processing provider. Your credit/debit card and related personal details are only collected by Worldpay in order to process your order. Worldpay terms and conditions, and privacy and security policies can be found at www.worldpay.com.
Standard payments are taken from your debit/credit card, PayPal account or via an authorised direct debit from your account at the time of purchase. To find out more about PayPal, please visit www.paypal.com
Recurring payments (FuturePay) - only for megarider Xtra
- Recurring payment (FuturePay) agreements set up to purchase megarider Xtra products are also administered by Worldpay.
- Once your agreement has been set up, payments will automatically be collected by an authorised direct debit from your account according to the agreement.
- Each payment is debited from your card or bank account as part of your agreement,a transaction confirmation email is generated by the Worldpay system and sent to the email address entered when your agreement was created.
- If your card expired or if a payment is not authorised, we will send you an email to inform you of the steps you need to take within the “Shopper Management System”to resolve the issue.
- Should a payment remain outstanding for more than 48 hours beyond the renewal date then your ticket will be cancelled and will expire at the end of the paid for period.
- A recurring payments (FuturePay) agreement can be cancelled by you either:(a)logging into you FuturePay account or(b)contacting our Customer Service team or(c)requesting to cancel a megarider Xtra ticket from your ‘My account’.
- Should a payment be cancelled then your ticket will be cancelled and will expire at the end of the paid for period. If you require further clarification please contact our Customer Service team before cancelling the payment or visit the Worldpay website.
8. How to place an order
- Our website pages will guide you through the steps you need to take to place an order with us. Our order process allows you to check and amend any errors before submitting your order to us. Please take the time to read and check your order at each page of the order process.
- Your order status updates as we move your order through the system. Your order status can be found in “My tickets” when you are logged into our website. Order status is dependent upon the different delivery methods as outlined in the definitions section of these Terms.
9. Our right to vary these terms
- We may alter these terms and conditions from time to time and post the new version on our website, following which all use of our website will be governed by that version. It is your responsibility to check the terms and conditions on the website regularly and prior to making any purchase.
- Every time you order Tickets from us, the Terms in force at the time of your order will apply to the Contract between you and us.
10. StagecoachSmart Travel Card Scheme
- StagecoachSmart cards are issued by and remain the property of Stagecoach Group plc (or its successors) and must be returned on demand.
- When purchasing a ticket through our website, you select the start date for the ticket. If you are requesting a new smart card to be sent to you, you will be presented with start dates commencing in 3 days’ time to allow for postal delivery.
- If you have requested a ticket to be sent to a smart card - Your ticket will be ready to use 2 days after purchase, or from the start date chosen when buying your ticket.
- If you have requested a new smart card -You'll receive it at your delivery address in the next 3 days. Your ticket will be loaded when you use your card on your first bus journey.
- If you try to use the ticket before the start date it will be rejected by the ticket machine and you will be asked to make alternative payment arrangements.
- Abuse or misuse of the StagecoachSmart card and any loaded electronic tickets may result in the card being permanently withdrawn and could lead to prosecution.
- All travel using electronic tickets stored on the StagecoachSmart card is subject to the conditions of travel of the relevant service operator. Copies may be obtained directly from those operators.
11. Dispatch of tickets
- When you order a ticket from Stagecoach Bus, our aim is to get that ticket to you so that you can start using it from the start date you have selected in your ticket selection. Due to the different technologies involved, the delivery methods for StagecoachSmart tickets differ from those for paper-based tickets. This why the website presents different start dates available to you depending on what delivery is selected.
- It is the responsibility of the customer purchasing the ticket to ensure that the delivery address is secure and one that is suitable for selecting Royal Mail deliveries.
- Tickets purchased online can not be dispatched to a non UK delivery address
On receipt of your tickets please ensure that all details are correct. However, should your ticket details be incorrect in any way, then please contact us via our Customer Service team.
We will endeavour to dispatch all postal tickets within 5 working days of receipt of your order, using the Royal Mail 1st class delivery service. Most items will arrive within 3 working days of dispatch. However, Stagecoach cannot be held responsible once the item has entered the Royal Mail system. If your ticket has not arrived within 3 working days of dispatch then please contact us via our Customer Service team.
StagecoachSmart tickets (including megarider Xtra)
- We will endeavour to dispatch all new StagecoachSmart cards within 3 days of receipt of your order using the Royal Mail 1st Class delivery service. Most items will arrive within 3 days of dispatch. However, Stagecoach cannot be held responsible once the item has entered the Royal Mail system. If your new StagecoachSmart card has not arrived within 3 days of dispatch or you experience problems with your card then please contact us via our customer service team.
- If your ticket has been purchased for an existing StagecoachSmart card, the ticket will be ready for use from the start date agreed at the time of purchase. The ticket is collected from the ticket machine when you present your StagecoachSmart card to the on bus reader.
- This scheme is administered by Stagecoach Group plc. Contact details for this scheme can be found here.
- We will endeavour to dispatch all new StagecoachSmart cards within 3 days of receipt of your order using the Royal Mail 1st Class delivery service. Most items will arrive within 3 days of dispatch. However, Stagecoach cannot beheld responsible once the item has entered the Royal Mail system.
- If your SmartZone® ticket has been purchased for an existing StagecoachSmart card the ticket will be ready to use at any time 48 hours after purchase (except routes X30, 31, S3 and S5 which are 72 hours). The date of first use will then be the start date for that ticket. The ticket is collected from the ticket machine when you present your StagecoachSmart card to the on bus reader.
- If your new StagecoachSmart card has not arrived within 3 days of dispatch or you experience problems with your card then please contact us via our Customer Service team.
12. Undelivered tickets
We are committed to getting your ticket out to you in time and have restricted the start dates during the ordering process to ensure that we do so. If your ticket is not delivered
to you within 3 working days of dispatch, you should report this immediately to us.
Please see Help & contact to see the appropriate contact details for your ticket enquiry.
13. Refunds and cancelled tickets
Due to the technology involved the refund process for cancelled tickets is slightly different between paper-based tickets purchased from our website and tickets purchased for StagecoachSmart cards from our website. Offline ticket sales terms differ, and customers will need to contact their regional customer service team to enquire about refunds and cancellations.
- Refunds and cancellation of tickets will be considered upon written request and surrender of the appropriate ticket.
- We will calculate the refund by deducting the cost of the value of the ticket portion used based on the best value alternative ticket you would have been able to purchase at the date the ticket was purchased for the period it was used. There is a £10 administration fee for refunds of paper tickets.
- Written requests, enclosing the ticket for refund, should be sent to your local operating company, details of which can be found in the Help & contact section of the website.
StagecoachSmart tickets (including megarider Xtra)
- Tickets purchased through our website for a StagecoachSmart card can be cancelled through the website by visiting the “My account” section of www.stagecoachbus.com. You’ll need to login to do this.
- Alternatively, customers can call the Customer Service Centre, details of which can be found in the Help & contact section of the website.
- If your ticket hasn’t been used and you want to cancel it, we will refund the full ticket value, minus any administration fees. If the ticket has been used before you cancel it, we will refund the residual value of the ticket after deducting the cost of the best value alternative ticket/s for the journey made, plus any administration fees. There is a £5 administration fee for all refunds on cancelled StagecoachSmart tickets.
Refunds and cancellations for SmartZone® tickets follow the same guidance as StagecoachSmart tickets with the exception of one week, 5 days and 12 trips, all of which will not be eligible for a refund.
14. Lost or stolen tickets
- Your tickets are items of value and should be looked after as securely as possible.
- You are advised to ensure that, as an item of value, your ticket is insured against loss or theft through your own household insurance policy.
- If your ticket is lost or stolen you should report this to the police and notify Stagecoach immediately. If you or we cannot recover your ticket, we may consider an application for a duplicate ticket.
- Due to the technology involved the process for requesting replacement tickets is slightly different between paper based tickets purchased from our website and tickets purchased for StagecoachSmart cards from our website.
Lost or stolen paper tickets
- We may consider an application for a duplicate ticket in exceptional circumstances.
- We do not issue duplicate tickets for lost or stolen 7 day or 28 day paper tickets.
- We may ask you or others for information about lost or stolen tickets. We may refuse applications for replacement if the ticket was confiscated or withdrawn due to suspected fraudulent use.
- Even in those cases where it is deemed appropriate to replace a lost or stolen ticket:
- we will only replace a ticket once in its validity period
- we will impose an administration charge of £25
- we will insist on the loss or crime having been reported to the police
- we will insist on the claim being made in writing either by email or through the post to the operating company to which the ticket belongs.
- Customers are advised that Stagecoach is not liable for the reimbursement of additional tickets purchased whilst waiting for your replacement tickets to arrive in the post.
Lost or stolen tickets on StagecoachSmart
- StagecoachSmart cards that have been registered with a Stagecoach ‘My account’ can be reported using the ‘My account’ section of the website – please make sure you log in first.
- Alternatively, contact our helpline.
- If a ticket on your StagecoachSmart card has more than 5 days validity on it,
- Stagecoach will transfer your ticket to a new StagecoachSmart card and will send it out in the post - please allow 3 working days for this to arrive.
- Only tickets sold by Stagecoach will be transferred
- Customers are advised that Stagecoach is not liable for the reimbursement of additional tickets purchased whilst waiting for your new StagecoachSmart card to arrive in the post.
- A replacement fee of £5 may be charged. Only tickets sold by Stagecoach will be loaded onto the replacement card.
Lost or stolen tickets on megarider Xtra
megarider Xtra tickets are live until the recurring payment stops. When you record your card lost or stolen (as above) we will get a new card to you with your product ready for collection on the bus card reader within 3 working days of the date on which you record your card lost or stolen with us.
megarider Xtra customers are advised to contact us for advice on how to claim back the cost of subsequent tickets whilst waiting for a replacement travel card Stagecoach.
15. Our liability
- If we fail to comply with these Terms, we are responsible for loss or damage you suffer that is a foreseeable result to both of us at the time you place your order of our breach of these Terms or our negligence, but we are not responsible for any loss or damage that is not foreseeable. Loss or damage is foreseeable if it is an obvious consequence of our breach or if it was contemplated by you and us at the time we entered into this contract.
- We only supply the Tickets for domestic and private use. You agree not to use the product for any commercial, business or resale purposes, and we have no liability to you for any loss of profit, loss of business, business interruption, or loss of business opportunity.
- We do not in any way exclude or limit our liability for:
- death or personal injury caused by our negligence;
- fraud or fraudulent misrepresentation;
- any breach of the terms implied by section 12 of the Sale of Goods Act 1979 (title and quiet possession) and/or section 2 of the Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982;
- any breach of the terms implied by section 13 to 15 of the Sale of Goods Act 1979(description, satisfactory quality, fitness for purpose and samples); and
- anything else which cannot be excluded or limited by any applicable laws, regulations, regulatory requirements and codes of practice of any relevant jurisdiction, as amended and in force from time to time.
16. Other important terms
- If we fail to insist that you perform any of your obligations under these Terms, or if we do not enforce our rights against you, or if we delay in doing so, that will not mean that we have waived our rights against you and will not mean that you do not have to comply with those obligations. If we do waive a default by you, we will only do so in writing, and that will not mean that we will automatically waive any later default by you.
- If any provision or term of these terms and conditions shall become or be declared illegal,invalid or unenforceable for any reason whatsoever, such terms or provision shall be divisible from the other terms and conditions and shall be deemed to be deleted from them. We may transfer our rights and obligations under a Contract to another organisation, but this will not affect your rights or our obligations under these Terms.
- Unless otherwise stated in these Terms, you may only transfer your rights or your obligations under these Terms to another person if we agree in writing.
- This Contract is between you and us. No other person shall have any rights to enforce any of its terms, whether under the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 or otherwise.
- Please note that these Terms are governed by English law. This means a Contract for the purchase of Tickets through our website and any dispute or claim arising out of or in connection with it will be governed by English law. You and we both agree that the courts of England and Wales will have exclusive jurisdiction in the event of any dispute.
17. Transport for London (TfL)
These Online sales terms and conditions do not apply to Stagecoach bus services in London, which are governed by Transport for London (TfL). Please visit TfL's website for more information.
If you wish to contact us for any reason, including because you have any complaints, please contact us.